English 300 - Fall 2004

This is my class journal for Professor Sexson's Critical Theory class.

12.9.04

Friedrich Nietzsche



"Gott ist tot."
Hi. I am Friedrich Nietzsche. I am a very scary, angry-looking man who is in desperate need of a moustache-trimmer. I was born in 1844 and went insane around 1890, then I died in 1900.

However, I had TONS to offer to the schools of Existentialism and Nihilism.
One of my key concepts was that we can only "know" things through our own perceptions, so therefore we can never really know "truth." Truth is an illusion that just makes us feel better.

Struggle, pain, and suffering are inevitable and should be glorified in one's life, for the stronger these sensations, the higher quality of life is. Man must love life despite his suffering, and the highest form of celebration of this life is through art. Since there is no truth, power of emotion is more potent than reason, and art and nonconformity provide ways to live with this power. For this reason also, morality and democracy are our enemies--they lessen the independent will of the ├╝bermann, one who is genius and superior to the common man.

Anyway, you will find out a lot more about me in the days and weeks to come. I'm sure you're all very excited about that.


In my younger years, I liked to pretend I was Napoleon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home